Friday 15 June 2012

One Year of Sand and Sun

Sitting on the waiting area, taking last minutes call, saying my goodbyes and I'm-gonna-miss-you, and wondering what life would be after the nine hours plane ride I'm going to take.



As flight QR 647 landed by 9.30pm at June 14, 2011, in Doha, Qatar... my life will never be the same again. And as I reached my one year mark, I look back and reminisce the ups and (a lot of) downs, the pros and cons, how I treated Doha as my new home, and how Philippines, my beloved country will always be missed.

---


Choosing to choose Doha over PHL to live for a couple of years, maybe one of the hardest decision I've ever made. And I think, through out my senior year in college, I was deciding whether to go or not.There are a lot of things to consider-- people, places, culture, family. Half of my family is already living here, that be my parents and my youngest brother. And I was left with my two other siblings, juggling between being a Communication Arts student, and friend at school, and being a sister/mother/father at home. But I choose to leave PHL, for a lot of reasons, I would want not to mention anymore. Even though that means leaving my best friend, my friends, relatives, favorite places, siblings. Even if that means leaving my safety zone.

It was a hard road, a path I took that I always wonder (sometimes until now) if it's the right one. I was a foreigner to almost everyone, a fresher to every employer, a newbie to the elite Doha.

---

There are a lot of adjustments I went through, dressing up was one of them (and gaaad! With this Doha weather, I am still not used to it). I was used to put on flip flops, a loose top, and shorts and I'd be seen chilling in the mall. But I can't now, and I understand and respect the culture I entered. Pork is also not easily available here, which is kinda not a problem for me, but still, it's new to me. The bipolar weather drives me insane, 40++ degrees for most of the year, and 10 degrees for a short lived winter. People's language and English accents are confusing too.




Parking Lot View from our Patio


I noticed that there are a lot of round-abouts, and a lot (but not enough) parking lots! And shopping malls will always be full. It seems that there are one color for all the buildings, and that is off-white (or maybe white, then the sand covered it, I'm not sure). Cars, luxury cars, sports cars and more cars around. A lot of "drivers" hitting the road like crazy. And a lot of construction going on. And though there are some that looks at you like you're from another planet, a lot of people are friendly, and all smiles when you look at them. I guess, the best part of this is meeting a lot of people from different nationalities, you feel like you've seen that part of the globe because of the people you encountered.

---

And as for the career side of my life. God, it was the harderst. I guess if you're going to look back and focus on my job, you may say that I have wasted more three-fourths of my stay here. Yes, I'm not proud that I had worked for only three months (almost four), but what I am proud of is that I have never settled for anything less than my dream. And as I hit my first year here, as I've been through a lot of interviews, a lot of emails and calls, I know that I am closer to the job that I love.


my q.media family! :) -- Dos(c)


I came here as a fresher, and so most of the employers think that I may not be a good asset for the company, but *ehem*, modesty aside, my dear employers, I am one of the  best there is! :) HAHAHA I am committed, competent and compassionate (yes, that is the 3 C's my university taught me to embody in whatever I do). And I am blessed that Ms. Latifa of q.media gave me the opportunity, even if it's a freelance job to be an Events Project Assistant. My time with qmedia, I think was the highlight of my year. Not only was I exposed to the corporate world, doing grown up stuff, dealing with high profile people, but also I experienced the whole world with the projects I was part of (Doha Trade Fair and Qatar Motor Show). Also, I get to work witht the amazing people/bosses. And I got to meet Chbani, my guy best friend! :) YAY!


Bday Celeb with ze best friend! :)


And though there were a lot of frustrated, helpless, clueless and unemployed days, I believe that the job I want is really near. And I am more than happy to accept it. So stoked! And I know all good things are worth the wait.

---

Lastly, as I looked back on that one year, I am thankful to Doha for welcoming me, and maybe treating me as its own. But I will always, always and I mean always, miss my beloved country, the Republic of the Philippines. And no matter how many people asked me in a day, no matter what nationality asks me (even the Filipino ones), why I don't look like a Filipina, I will never have an answer to your question, except to say that I am 100% Pinoy and proud to be. I may not be there, and you may be a third world struggling country, far different from the first world Doha, but I will always love you, and you will always be my home. See you for a visit soon, maybe?


---

Sunrise in Doha

The Torch and Doha's sunset captured from the passenger seat

The view from q.media's office

My first purchase from my first salary

Live. Love. Laugh.

*photos from my iPhone

Things will get better, and brighter. BELIEVE♥

No comments:

Post a Comment